If you've seen Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm sure you were either ogling at or envious of Chris Pratt's new chiseled physique. Pratt had to put in an insane amount of work to transition from the slightly overweight Andy Dwyer to the superhero he depicts in Guardians, but he showed us that anything is possible with a little hard work ;)
In order to really hit his fitness goals, who better to train with than Duffy Gaver, the trainer who transformed Chris Hemsworth's into Thor and Brad Pitt into Achilles in Troy. Gaver's workouts are typically broken up into three phases. No matter his client's capability, Gaver uses the same bodybuilding template to kick-start the first phase of his famous transformations. The second phase is a mix of bodybuilding and cardio and the third phase focuses mostly on intense cardio to get that final chiseled look.
This week's workouts are adapted from bodybuilding.com, Muscle & Fitness and Popworkouts. Enjoy!
DAY 1 - BACK WORKOUT
10 min cardio warm-up (usually a treadmill workout)
1. Pullups + Pushups Superset - 5 rounds (if this number of pullups seems insane to you...it is! Don't worry if you need a band or a pull-up machine to assist you)
Round 1 - 20 pullups + 20 pushups with no rest in between
Round 2 - 15 Pullups + 20 Pushups
Round 3 - 12 Pullups + 20 Pushups
Round 4 - 10 Pullups + 20 Pushups
Round 5 - 10 Pullups + 20 Pushups
2. Wide Grip Lat Pulldown - 4 sets of 12 reps
3. Hammer Strength Row - 4 sets of 12 reps
4. One-Arm Row - 4 sets of 12 reps
5. Weighted Back Hyperextensions - 4 Sets of decreasing reps (25/20/15/15)